City of Chandler Salary Plan - 2013-14
Back to the Salary Plan
OT Status Legend:
Non-Exempt = Hourly Position
Exempt = Salaried Position
Excellence is the responsibility of everyone at the City of Chandler. We lead by
our core values in constant pursuit of excellence:
*Commitment – Dedicate oneself to consistent and excellent public service
*Innovation – Implement unique, creative and cost-effective solutions
*Communication – Communicate in a positive, honest and productive manner
*Integrity - Adherence to high ethical standards
*Diversity – Promote inclusiveness
and impartiality throughout the organization
*Personal Responsibility – Take initiative to achieve excellence and
*Respect – Demonstrate a high regard
*Teamwork – Promote cooperative efforts, open communication and trust
All City employees are expected to conduct themselves in a way consistent with the
|GRAPHIC DESIGN & PRINTING COORD
Pay Grade: 22 FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Group: Professional (P) Class Code: G017
Effective Date: 6/12
The primary function of an employee in this class is to coordinate, develop, design and graphically produce a variety of communications and marketing projects for management, City departments/divisions, and elected officials including presentations, brochures, print ads, posters, fliers, direct mail, and City identity/branding. This position prepares specifications and bids out outside printing functions for the City in cooperation with the Purchasing Division. Work involves making decisions within a delegated scope of public information activities, establishing and maintaining effective public relations with media representatives and the public, and providing other professional staff and administrative support.
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
* Conceptualizes and designs professional, high-end graphic design projects from concept to completion for all City departments such as the development of logos, advertising campaigns, and printed materials including brochures, posters, fliers and signage for city departments;
* Researches, develops and recommends ideas and various formats for various City projects to pinpoint central theme, audience, budget and possible time constraints;
* Manages projects, prepares status reports, outlines priorities, identifies time frame and funding constraints, and develops procedures for project completion;
* Participates in the development and creation of Chandler's image and brand advertising, as well as visitor services, tourism and marketing for all special events Chandler hosts;
* Designs logos, icons, and other visual elements for campaigns and special programs;
* Assures official City printed materials meet graphic and publication standards by reviewing materials to be printed and mailed;
* Assists in soliciting bids and analyzes quotes and proposals for overflow printing, bindery, and other outside printing and related services for the City; makes recommendations on whether a job is printed internally or externally;
* Determines the creative vision and provides direction when working with external freelancers, illustrators, photographers, interactive agencies, and others;
* Assists with the design and updates of the internet web pages;
* Proofs and edits images using various graphics software, digital cameras and scanners;
* Advises on artistic and visual aid presentations of technical, statistical and other information such as providing technical advice on working drawings;
* Collaborates with team to create themes for large City-sponsored special events, advertising, City programs and promotional campaigns;
* Coordinates creative elements of events such as decorations, signage, centerpieces and gifts to create an overall theme and look;
* Selects, designs and orders promotional items to be used by various City departments to promote the City and its programs and special events;
* Assists in special projects for the City Manager's Office as requested;
* May lead and oversee the work of other department technical staff;
* Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures;
* Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Principles and methods of conceptual design, page layout, freehand, photographic, and computer techniques, processes and equipment;
* Web design, illustration, commercial art, and publication methods, techniques, and processes;
* Printing as it applies to graphic design production including color separations, prepress file preparation, scanning and on press checking of jobs;
* Current printing methods and practices including the materials and supplies of the printing trade;
* Desktop publishing and computer aided design hardware and software;
* Federal OSHA and State and County regulations and city policies regarding safe work practices.
* Develop, plan and implement high-quality, professional graphics;
* Use computer graphics and photo editing software;
* Operate digital cameras, scanners, plotters, printers, and related equipment;
* Work independently on projects from concept to completion without direct supervision;
* Respond appropriately to public inquiries and present a positive public image;
* Communicate ideas and design proposals effectively through oral, visual and written communication;
* Prioritize and schedule projects;
* Prepare bid and project specifications for printing, promotional items and special event elements and evaluate the credentials/qualifications of vendors;
* Learn new software and keep current with technology and software advancements;
* Promote the image of the City through choice, use and distribution of promotional items, creative printed pieces and advertising;
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department representatives, vendors, citizens, and elected and appointed officials;
* Operate a personal computer and related software and demonstrate proficiency to prepare graphics, documents, spreadsheets, email and timesheets;
* Operate a Mac computer and various software utilized for the design and development of graphic art projects including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat.
The work is performed under the supervision of the Communications & Public Affairs Director.
May provide lead supervision over technical printing staff.
* Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design or related field;
* Three (3) to five (5) years' experience in professional/commercial graphic design production or graphics project management; and
* Valid Arizona Driver's License; or
* Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
The primary duties of this class are performed in a general office environment.
Essential Physical Abilities:
* Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively on the telephone and in person;
* Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to distinguish colors to create visually effective print and website collateral materials; and to comprehend written work instructions and review, evaluate, and prepare a variety of written/typed documents, text materials, graphics and other design work;
* Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment, personal computers and other hardware peripheral equipment;
* Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to lift up to 20 pounds, to sit and work at a keyboard for an extended period of time, and work in an office environment.