|Chandler Park Projects and Meetings
Chandler's Park Operations Division maintains nearly 1,200 acres of developed park land at more than 60 park sites. The division also acquires land, plans, designs and develops new parks and special use facilities.
The Chandler Parks Division strives to meet the recreational and open space needs of Chandler citizens. As new parks and facilities are planned, Parks staff works with Chandler residents on the design and development of Chandler parks.
Park Development and Improvement Projects
Recently Completed Park Development and Improvement Projects
- Arrowhead Meadows Park Tennis Court Renovation
- Arrowhead Meadows Park is located at 1475 W. Erie St. It is a 30-acre Community Park developed initially in 1962.
- The existing tennis courts will be resurfaced, with two of the four courts being converted to six pickleball courts.
- work on this park will begin October 23, with the project being completed by December 11.
- Future Neighborhood Park at Layton Lakes
- Concept plan was completed after an initial public meeting held on September 14, 2016.
- Construction plans were completed and publicly bid June 2017. Unfortunately, the bids came in over the approved budget and all bids had to be rejected.
- While the majority of the concept/design for the park will remain the same, in order to get the project within budget, staff have made several changes to the original concept that will be presented at a public meeting on Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 6:30 p.m., at the Environmental Education Center, 4050 E. Chandler Heights Road.
- Proposed amenities include a "ninja warrior" style obstacle course, ramadas, basketball and sand volleyball courts with lighting, drinking fountain, open turf area, pathways, site lighting and landscaping.
- The location of the park is within the area bounded by Gilbert Road, Lindsay Road, Queen Creek Road and Ocotillo Road. The development of this park continues to meet the City goal of providing a neighborhood park for each square mile of residential development within the City.
- Construction is anticipated to begin in early 2018 and will take approximately five to six months to construct.
- Pima Park Ballfields Shade Structures
- Over the past ten years, shading of all 52 playgrounds in the City's park system was completed.
- City Council recently approved funding to continue adding shade structures at Chandler's park and recreation facilities.
- This project will install spectator shade structures at Pima Park ballfields 1 and 2.
- The shade structures will be ready to install in mid-October.
- San Marcos Park Basketball Court Renovation
- San Marcos Park is located at 712 W. Fairview St.
- The two asphalt basketball courts will be removed and replaced with two new post-tensioned concrete courts with replacement of the adjacent concrete sidewalks.
- This project is slated to be completed by December 5.
- Shawnee Park Ramadas
- Shawnee Park, located at 1400 W. Mesquite St., is a 17.5-acre Neighborhood Park that was developed in 1983.
- Since the construction more than 34 years ago, the picnic ramadas have detiorated due to time, use, and weather conditions.
- This project will remove and replace two existing ramadas with new updated steel ramadas similar in size.
- Installation is scheduled for the week of October 16.
- Snedigar Sportsplex Area Lighting
- This project installs area lighting in the open turf space to the west of soccer fields 1 and 2 at the Snedigar Sportsplex. Light pole installation is complete, as of September 20.
- Anticipated completion is mid-October
- Apache Park Improvements
- Public Meetings were held on October 1, 2015 and April 7, 2016 to receive input regarding planned improvements to Apache Park. The concept plan was presented at the second meeting after incorporating suggestions and concerns from the earlier meeting.
- Improvements to Apache Park included relocation of the sand volleyball courts, expansion and replacement of the playground, ramada replacements, alterations to existing racquetball courts, new lighting, irrigation and landscape improvements as well as review of accessibility to the park and amenities.
- Drainage and retention capabilities were also evaluated and improved.
- Downtown Stage Area Lighting
- In fall 2015, the new downtown stage was constructed and opened for organizations to rent and use for events.
- Areas of the open green space were under-lit and additional area lighting was needed.
- New lighting was installed and now provides safe lighting for pedestrians at night.
- Gazelle Meadows Park Improvement
- Gazelle Meadows Park is an 8.99-acre Neighborhood Park, located at 500 N. Exeter St, serving the residentsof the square-mile bordered by Chandler Blvd, McQueen Rd, Ray Rd, and Arizone Ave.
- Originally developed in 1985, this project updated the park with new fencing and a LED lighting system.
- Pima, Navarrete and Shawnee Park Restrooms Replacement
- These restrooms had 30 years of weather and use wear.
- The buildings at each park were removed and replaced with updated steel/block restrooms.
Updated: September 20, 2017
Park News & Information
Additional Park Programs and Information