|Feb. 25, 2011
Feb. 24, 2011 - Chandler City Council Meeting Recap
CHANDLER, Ariz. – The Chandler City Council met at 7 p.m. on Thursday, February 24, and took the following action:
- Approved the Final Adoption of Ordinance No. 4272 amending the Chandler City Code to establish definitions and Use Permit requirements relating to medical marijuana facilities and cultivation sites and infusion food establishments.
- Approved the Final Adoption of Ordinance No. 4285 amending the City’s zoning code to enable valet parking in the downtown area.
- Authorized an agreement with the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) for reimbursement to the City of $3,034,994 for improvements made to Price Road in 2008 between Germann Road and the Santan Freeway. The project widened the road to six lanes and was approved as part of MAG’s Regional Transportation Plan to be paid for with funds from a regional half-cent sales tax (Proposition 400 funds).
- Approved a two-year extension to the existing contract with Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc., for red light and speed photo enforcement at 12 of Chandler’s most dangerous intersections.
- Approved a license agreement with the Chandler Chamber of Commerce for the use of Tumbleweed Park in conjunction with the Chandler Ostrich Festival being held March 11-13, contingent upon the appropriate liability insurance being obtained by the Chamber.
- Awarded a $374,960 construction contract to ELS Construction for improvements to Hoopes Park at 601 W. Mesquite Street. The project will include irrigation, sidewalk and landscape improvements, new lighted basketball court, and the conversion of pathway lighting to LED fixtures.
- Recommended approval to the State Liquor Board of a temporary extension of the alcohol serving area for McDuffy’s Grill and Fibber Magees to accommodate St. Patrick Day celebrations.
At the beginning of the meeting, Mayor Tibshraeny read a proclamation declaring the month of March as Disabilities Awareness Month and, along with the Mayor’s Committee for People with Disabilities, presented special Recognition Awards to Michelle Verrico of Hamilton High School as “Student of the Year”; Robert Miglore, a Harkins Theatre employee, as “Employee of the Year”; Chandler High School Special Education teacher Jessica Peacock as “Educator of the Year”; and Chandler High School student Haley Metcalf and resident Rick Sughroue as “Volunteers of the Year”.
In addition, a presentation regarding Chandler’s plans for celebrating the City’s 100th birthday in 2012 was made by Jean Reynolds, Chandler’s Public History Coordinator who's also serving as the City's Centennial Coordinator. A steering committee has been established to organize events leading up to the Centennial Celebration and is seeking volunteers, event sponsors and public input on celebration ideas via an online survey at www.chandleraz.gov/100 or www.chandler100th.com.
Prior to adjournment, the Mayor recognized the service of retiring Purchasing Manager Robert Combs and invited the public to participate in Chandler’s 21st Annual Senior Expo on Wednesday, March 9, from 9 a.m. to noon at the Chandler Community Center.
Councilmember Rick Heumann encouraged participation in Chandler’s Ostrich Festival 5K Run/Walk beginning at 8 a.m. Saturday March 5 along Arizona Avenue north of Frye Road, followed by the Thorobred Chevrolet Ostrich Festival Parade at 10 a.m. He also invited the public to a wine tasting and silent auction benefitting the Desert Cancer Foundation being held from 4-6:30 p.m. Sunday, April 10 at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Resort. Information is available at www.desertcanceraz.org.
The next City Council meeting is a study session scheduled for 7 p.m. on Monday, March 7, 2011.
Council meetings are aired live, as well as replayed, on Chandler Channel 11 and streamed on the Web at www.chandleraz.gov/video.
Note: These are not official meeting minutes of the City Council but rather a brief recap of the Council’s actions provided as a courtesy of the Chandler Communications and Public Affairs Department.
The City Clerk’s office posts official meeting results the morning following Council meetings. For further clarification on actions taken, visit www.chandleraz.gov/agendas. Throughout the agenda, items are posted in red to signify any changes made at the meeting, and who voted no, or abstained.
For past City Council meeting minutes, visit www.chandleraz.gov, or contact the City Clerk’s office at 480-782-2180. For any other information, contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 480-782-2220.